Tuesday, October 14, 2014

How I Survived Thanksgiving

We all know how it goes .. Thanksgiving weekend is filled with family and friend gatherings .. And FOOD. Lots and lots of food. Pumpkin and apple desserts and mashed potatoes and breads and gravies and turkeys and hams .. 

It's all so tempting. I've been known to go a little crazy on the buffet line, especially where dessert is concerned. And every year, starting with Thanksgiving, with the warm foods and the colder weather, is where I often begin to slip off my healthy track and into dangerous, binge-eating-bad-foods territory of winter. 

This year, I am determined to break that cycle. I'm done with restarting my weight loss every summer. I'm done with being unhealthy. Done.

This picture spoke volumes to me .. Loud and clear!!

No excuses! My goals for my health and body and LIFE are way more important than a turkey and pie hangover and the regret and grossness I'd feel the next day. 

I woke up every morning and immediately planned my meals for the day using My Fitness Pal, as I always do (even on non-holiday days! It's my routine to keep on track). I knew what was on the menu for Thanksgiving feasts and I planned for it all, and I even kept on with my workouts every night! 

After I finished work on Sunday, I came home to have a Thanksgiving meal with Team Lego .. Daddy worked hard in the kitchen to make a homemade pineapple sauce for the lean ham, lightly buttered asparagus and mashed potatoes! We went for a family walk after dinner instead of having a dessert, which was way better :) 

Thanksgiving Monday we had dessert for breakfast! 

Daddy Lego made apple pie crepes .. Whole wheat and flax crepes made with egg whites! They were stuffed with apples sautéed in a touch of butter and cinnamon and topped with light, real whipped cream. It was so delicious and it totally cured Daddy's apple pie craving!

We went for a long walk after breakfast. The sun was out and it was the perfect Fall day! 
Look at all the geese!!! There were hundreds!! 

We made it home in time to have a round of showers for everyone, lunch: 
Homemade chicken and vegetable soup! And then we were off to the country for a family gathering. 

My focus was on family .. Not the food. And that's how it always will be for me! Family is truly what's important about the holidays, not the food! Although .. The food was phenomenal. We brought two veggie dishes to contribute to the meal (to fill up on!) 

I had a few pieces of turkey too, after I took this photo. I skipped the gravy (I get the worst indigestion with gravy, boo). I'm not going to lie .. I totally wanted the pumpkin pie that was served for dessert. I've had the Costco pie before and it.is.to.die.for. But .. I didn't have enough calories for the day to have even a small piece. My backup plan, decided earlier in the day while I made my meal plan for the day? Pumpkin pie shakeology after my workout!! Absolutely delicious and guilt-free. 


These people are my world. Not the turkey dinner :) 

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

(And ps. Even if you did indulge this weekend - no problem. The weekend is over now, today is a new day .. Get yourself back on track!) :)






No comments:

Post a Comment