Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Vegan Lemon Crisp Cookies

*Please note: this recipe isn't one that I would consider "healthy" because of the amount of sugar it contains. I just wanted to share it with you all because it was the first time I ever made a vegan recipe!*
Do you love baking with lemon as much as I do?! The aroma, the taste .. *swoon*

I participated in a snack exchange this past weekend and had the pleasure of shopping for someone who was vegan. I bought her a few snacks from the store but also wanted to give her something homemade, and after googling vegan snack recipes, found one that didn't require speciality vegan ingredients, just stuff I had at home (although I was out of lemons so had to pick some up!). I made a couple of adjustments to the original recipe.

I absolutely LOVE anything lemony so making these cookies was pure bliss for me (freshly zested lemon?! Yuuuuuum. I could smell that stuff all day, every day!).

They turned out really well! I preferred them straight out of the oven, because they were more moist and chewy, but once they cooled they had a delightful crispy texture and were such a treat to eat. Sssssoooo lemony!! :)

Without further ado .. The recipe:

1.5 C flour
1 C whole wheat flour
1.5 C sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp lemon zest
3/4 C canola oil
1/2 C + 1 tbsp lemon juice
2.5 tsp vanilla


Mix all the dry ingredients into a bowl. In a separate bowl, stir together the wet ingredients. Using a wooden spoon, fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed.

Use a tablespoon to measure out each cookie, roll it into a ball, and place on a cookie sheet (I used a silicone baking sheet, but I'm sure greasing a cookie sheet would work the same!). Gently press down onto each ball with a fork. Be sure to leave plenty of space between each cookie - they spread out wide when they bake!

Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes. Cool on a cooling rack. Store them in a sealed container.

Enjoy getting your lemon on!!

fresh from the oven!

The original recipe can be found here. I made a couple of small changes (like swapping the white-only flour for whole wheat) for some added nutrition .. and I added a touch more vanilla because I love the stuff :)

No comments:

Post a Comment