Thursday, June 28, 2012

The "Eat Your Heart Out, Subway!" Meatball Sammich

Yeah, Subway is one of my favorite fast-food go-to's .. So many healthy, fresh options to choose from. And smelling the fresh bread upon walking in = foodgasm!!


However, I do have one guilty pleasure there ... Subway's Meatball Marinara Sandwich. How many ways can I describe how YUM it is?! And with extra cheddar cheese melted into the delicious sauce over wonderfully meaty and tender meatballs ..


Even after knowing how wretched that sub is in points (15 points for a 6-inch!! And I used to get a footlong with extra cheese!!), I can't help but to want it sometimes. Luckily enough, I have enough self-control to know that ordering one isn't in my lifestyle change's best interest, so I'll pick something else (Chicken Teriyaki please!!)


Yet I still crave my meatball sub .. So I made my own at home! And it was most definitely a suitable SUB-stitute! Also, knowing that it was a much healthier and points-friendly option made it even better.


I started with a small white flour ciabatta bun (I have yet to find a whole grain ciabatta, grr!) and layered spinach and red peppers on the bottom piece. Then I added six cooked  mini turkey meatballs (thank you, M&M Meats!), a sprinkle of my favorite light Kraft tex mex cheese mix and then I threw it under the broiler for a few minutes to give the cheese time to melt and get all golden. Once it was done, I pulled it out and added warmed tomato sauce over the cheesy meatballs, closed it up, and served!


Straight out of the oven, before I added the tomato sauce (and that was only 1tbsp of light Caesar dressing but it spread itself out!)
They were just delicious! So many different flavors in every bite. The only thing I would have done differently was to toss the meatballs in the tomato sauce beforehand .. But it tasted great just the same!


So next time the Subway Meatball Marinara beckons me .. I know I have a backup :)


Ten points for this entire "sub"!


No comments:

Post a Comment