Thursday, May 31, 2012

Healthy Pizza!



Yes, I did it. I used the words "healthy" and "pizza" in the same sentence.


Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Laura, and I'm a pizza addict.


You know how there are wine connoisseurs? Well, my husband and I are pizza connoisseurs. Literally. We can't get enough of the stuff. We've tried just about every frozen pizza variety there is, and have ordered from just about every pizza joint within our delivery range. Healthy, right? Expensive too.


We knew one of the biggest battles we would face along our quest to healthy Legos would be our love and adoration of pizza. And the cravings. And I'll admit, it hasn't been easy.


So on those days where we are really wanting a pizza, we have it. But we make it ourselves (cheaper and free of trans-fats and grease!) and we make it healthy. I actually much prefer making it myself because I control what goes in it! No gross hidden preservative-type ingredients that I can't pronounce, no spray-on grease, and the best part: no need to tip a delivery guy!


We use a large whole wheat pita bread (each) and start by adding pizza sauce (or homemade tomato sauce). Then we use Butterball turkey pepperoni (one WW+ point for TEN slices!) and go nuts on the veggies - mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomatoes - and finally top it off with 1/3 cup of Kraft low-fat tex mex cheese blend. Bake it at 350 for about 10-15 minutes, and eight WW+ points later, we have a really tasty, personal-pan sized pizza!


Our favorite side dish for pizza is a light Caesar salad - they just go hand-in-hand together! This meal is so satisfying and guilt-free, I doubt we'll be ordering out any time soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment